[at-l] RE: black bear attack in NY

Earlier this year I saw a documentary on tv about polar bears. Most of
the information was standard issue but the scenery was nice. The one part
that really got my attention regarded a research center. The center is in
an area frequented by polar bears during their "off" season when there is
no ice out on the Hudson Bay.

The folks at the center have an effective plan to keep the bears away
from the facility. There is always someone on guard, so to speak. The
lookout sits on a roof watching for approaching bears. When one is
spotted the alert is given and several people assemble with guns loaded
with a special shell that shoots a fire cracker sort of device at the
bear. The tactic is to wait until the bear contacts the electric fence
which surrounds the compound. As soon as the bear recoils from the shock,
the order is given to fire. As the bear flees the area, it is shelled
with the exploding fire crackers, which adds to the terror of the
encounter.

According to the narrator, only juvenile bears are normally seen near the
electric fence. The theory is, once burned, twice shy. Apparently the
encounter is bad enough that bears do not return to the research  center
compound area. When researcher are away from the center they travel in
groups of at least two. One person is always on watch for bears. If one
is seen and is within range of the fire cracker shell, one is launched at
it. The report is that the bear typically beats a hasty retreat,
presumably as a result of the terrible encounter near the center.

I don't think the choice has to be between a dead bear or a dead human.
As cruel as it might appear at first, I think a program of harassment
could save a lot of bears and maybe some people. Rubber bullets and such
could very well teach bears that people = trouble. I've seen a few, shall
we say..........less than astute folks at Cade's Cove who might benefit
from being shot their own self. People certainly need to be educated,
they certainly must that the initiative but I also think the poor
varmints need to be educated into avoiding people.

Once a bear has attacked a person there is little option but to kill it.
I'm in favor of a program, how ever painful to the bears, that will
instill in them a great fear of people so maybe there only part of a bear
we see is its backside.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.