[at-l] RE: black bear attack in NY

rick boudrie wrote:

> I could be 100% wrong on this, but isn't it SOP (in Parks, and perhaps
> beyond) to frequently give grizzlies a pass after they attack people?  Sort
> of a variation of the "Boys will be boys" kind of thing.

	I'm not familiar with such a policy regarding bears that actually harm
humans, but much of the time the encounter between human and grizzly
involves a 'bluff' charge, which may or may not be reported as 'the bear
attacked me'.

	In cases of such charges the bear is not generally harmed. Trails may
be closed until it wanders elsewhere, and in popular areas where closure
isn't considered a viable option, the flash-bang shotgun shells
mentioned in other posts are often used.

	Ron
--

must preside at our assemblies.
	William O. Douglas