[at-l] Booger flinging - Not sure if it's OT or not...

Enviromental issues are of concern to the hiking community, it is just that some of it is wildly off topic.  Many of us adhere to the leave no trace philosophy.  Protection of the AT corridor is a valid discussion topic.  Wild fire in colorado is straching it (does it cause a problem for the AT?).

The make up of the list changes with each hiking season and there are a number of oldtimers on the list.  It is in many ways very cliquish.  I think that maybe some of the inside jokes could be posted off-list.  A new peson to the list will not get the jokes, and maybe turned off by the banter.

There were a number of wonderful posts in the past that new members do not know anything about.  The Milo and Parpackers stories were very funny, but who is going to search them out in the archieves, especially if they don't know about them.  Each year I use the story of Friar Tuck when I talk to scouts about lighten there backpacks.  (I have to change it slightly as these are 13 and 14 yr boys.) I think that this should be posted yearly when we have new people talking about gear. And finally there were the trail reports from the likes of Solophile and Felix, and Datto.

I don't think that the list is as newbie friendly as it has been in the past.    I would like to see more trip reports, hear more funny trail stories and listen to gear discussions.

My $0.02 worth
Grey Owl