[at-l] Boy Scout Debate

>I wonder why Ed advocated as much as he did for formal recognition.
>I'm also interested in the content of the letter sent to ATC in 2000. Was
>it published, anyone? if so, which issue, I'd like to read

If he was a strong advocate, that isn't so clear from his letter to the ATN:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN00May.pdf

If for some reason the link doesn't work, or you want to load that issue of
ATN as HTLM, just do a search at the ATC Website.  They have a couple years
of ATNs available for download.

For those who are not inclined to wait for the down load, Talone's letter
was rather low-key.  Seemed he was making a point regarding those who have
missed sections of the official trail deserving to be included included on
the 2,000 Miler list more than anything else.  No mention was ever made as
to the merits of the claim other than to the extent Talone believed the fact
that the AT had not been 100% blazed and built by 1936 to be irrelavent to
the Scout's inclusion on the 2,000 Miler roles.

Avery is accepted to be the trail's first 2000 Miler.  That was in 1936,
too.  Is it possible that Avery reached that plateau later in that year?  If
the Scout's claim to be the first thru-hikers is held up, is it possible
that Avery was the 6th 2000 Miler?

(Answer: NO, its not possible.  But soemthing to ponder.)

Rick B