[at-l] Re: Tents vs tarps vs hammock

You've got plenty of advice already. Here is a bit more.

I don't know how well a hammock will work in the rain. I've never used one. I have used my Itegral
Designs Sil Shelter (a shaped tarp) in downpours and stayed dry.  Getting used to a tarp does take
some time, but it isn't all that hard. Especially if you think of trail lean-tos as just sturdier
tarps which in a sense is what they are given their open door construction. There are some places
where a tent may be preferable to a tarp (i.e., well above treeline), but they don't really exist on
the AT.

There are many good tents out there. There are many good tarps. I like my Sil Shelter, but I will
someday get my hands on ID's tarp/poncho to try out. Tents like the Nomad and ULA's tents are also
quite nice when used as they ought to be. I like to keep the shelter weight low especially on the
AT since on the AT I can often take advantage of the shelters. However, even if that were not the
case I'd still go with a tarp.

The Esbit stove can be used on a long distance hike, but the problem with it is getting fuel. Most
places don't stock the fuel tabs. You would have to buy a whole lot of the tabs beforehand and send
them via US mail to  yourself along the trail (that is allowed). Personally, I would go with an
alcohol stove. There are many good designs out there. My favorite is the Photon stove. Efficient,
very light, and fuel is easy to get (denatured alcohol).

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **