[at-l] Tents vs. tarps vs. hammock

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, and since I'm thinking of buying some gear in the next few weeks, I figured it was time to start posting.

First some background: (Feel free to ignore this)

My backpacking experience is from 6 years of boy scouts and outdoors club in college. So I have a decent, if somewhat-forgotten, background, and I can probably re-learn most of it over the next year or two. I haven't bought any new gear in the last 5 or 6 years, so I am simultaneously overwhelmed by the number of things that have changed, and psyched at the amount of cool new toys I can play with. I'm planning a bunch of long-weekend trips this year, and thru-hiking in a year or two before grad school.

**end of background

In my apartment, I have my old boots and sleeping bag and pad, so I think my first purchases are a tent and a stove. So (finally) to the purpose of this email: The idea of a hammock sounds pretty cool, but I can't figure out what happens in a downpour. Can I fit my pack into a hammock with me? I don't see a rain cover and garbage bags keeping everything dry. A good hammock seems like a decent alternative, but will that keep me warm in the early
months? (I'm thinking of starting mid-march to be sure I finish with time to get used to civilization before school in the fall).

I figure I can always buy a new bag or stove or something in a couple of years, but I'd rather not plan on buying a new tent.

Also, on a side note, I saw the Esbitt stove the other day in the store. One of the salespeople said they're not really designed for long-distance backpacking, and they're more for emergencies. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Using this little 3 oz stove instead of my whisperlite would be great.

Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance for the advice,

Josh