[at-l] Shelter Spacing & Zip Knighthood

In a message dated 6/11/2002 11:04:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu writes:

>  For example, there are lots of times when I was faced with an
> 8 mile day or a 20 mile day.

     ***  I would love to create a record of lack of shelter spacing and fill
in difficult spots with a decent shelter or developed campsite with pavilion.
In my mind the AT would finally be finished. Yes, I know that filling in all
the gaps would violate the wildness bandwagon I've joined, but this could be
mitigated by placing the simple log type lean-to a half mile off the Trail in
a unique spot. This way a hiker sitting at day's beginning faced with such a
problem will gladly walk the 1/2 mile to the shelter instead of having to
figure out how not to impact while finding a destination between 8 and 21
miles. Especially in the Whites!

    In 1986 I brought a Sierra West 2 pound bivy tent basically because I had
no room left in my pack for anything bigger. I "bombproofed" the AT and
learned as I went. I only used the tent every now and then because I planned
days between shelters. The bivy is small and cramped and condenses. You have
to sort of sleep with your mouth near the no-see-um screen or you feel like
you're breathing stagnant air.

    I'd love to win a contest where they decked you out in the latest
low-weight and advanced designed stuff. During summer weight can be dropped
drastically from your base load...

     By the authority of the realm, I grant you titanium Zip round table
status. Carry the grail, my son, in a fine cloth made of mountain felt and
taketh not that of the flame ring on thyne passage...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---