[at-l] Tents & Tarps & Trees

I guess I'll have to chip in on this topic.  I own a Eureka Gossamer tent, a Exponent Inyo II tent (was the Coleman Peak I Cobra), and a number of hammocks.

I love my hammocks for lounging around at my cabin.  Granted, they are not the built for the trail Hennessey hammocks, so I don't have a good comparison of them against using a tent.  It would, however, be somewhat like comparing apples and oranges.  I've just chosen to stick with the tent option.

I do have a definite opinion about the difference in the Eureka Gossamer tent and the Exponent Inyo II.  The Gossamer is a one person tent that is actually between a bivy and a tent in size.  It has enough room to lay down in comfortably, but no room to sit up.  It has a very small vestibule which will only cover a pair of boots adequately.  The rain fly is staked very close to the person inside, so any residual splashing of rain under the edge will be very close to the hiker.  It weighs almost 4 lbs. when all accessories are included.  It usually costs around $100 or so to purchase.

The Exponent Inyo II is rated as a 2 person tent, although you would have to overlap from about the waist down to make it work.  As a one person tent, however, it could be considered spacious.  It has dual vestibules, both of which are big enough to shelter a backpack.  That still leaves enough room inside to store a good bit of gear that you might want to use during the night, or just to have it further away from splashing under the tent in a rain storm.  This tent also weighs 4 lbs. with all the accessories.  It also only has one pole (compared to two for the Gossamer), and is quicker to set up.  Neither tent is free standing.  You can find a new Inyo II for $80 retail.  Needless to say, I'm sold on this tent.

For pictures of the Inyo II and my evaluation of these two tents, see my website at:

http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington/gearcomparisons.htm