  From: Christopher Willett
  To: David Smith
  Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 10:41 AM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Which footware to buy?

  Unfortunately, I think it is really hard to judge footwear well in a
  store.  Make your best guess and then do some miles.  If this is
  your first time buying boots, try to get to a decent store and have
  someone help you.  As decent stores are few and far between in Illinois,
  and maybe where you live too, I buy most of my boots mail order and
  pray for the best.  For the AT, I'd get the lightest weight boot you
  can, trail runners perhaps.  You just don't need really big boots.
  If you sprain your ankles alot walking down the street, more
  supportive boots might be necessary, though.  Socks are not super
  important (wearing them is).  I've found Thorlo and other partially
  synthetic stocks stink alot faster and alot worse than all wool socks.
  So, I use a midweight wool sock.  If you go with trail runners or low
  cut shoes, you might find low gaiters nice.

  In summary:  Go to a store or make the best guess you can.  Do not get
  big boots.  Spend some time hiking in the boots to see how they will
  really behave on the trail.  If your feet stink (mine do), go with
  wool socks.  Consider gaiters. Remember to go hiking.

  Chris

  Chris Willett
  cwillett@math.uiuc.edu
  http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~cwillett