From: Christopher Willett [mailto:cwillett@math.uiuc.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 11:41 AM
To: David Smith
Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Which footware to buy?

Unfortunately, I think it is really hard to judge footwear well in a
store.  Make your best guess and then do some miles.  If this is
your first time buying boots, try to get to a decent store and have
someone help you.  As decent stores are few and far between in Illinois,
and maybe where you live too, I buy most of my boots mail order and
pray for the best.  For the AT, I'd get the lightest weight boot you
can, trail runners perhaps.  You just don't need really big boots.
If you sprain your ankles alot walking down the street, more
supportive boots might be necessary, though.  Socks are not super
important (wearing them is).  I've found Thorlo and other partially
synthetic stocks stink alot faster and alot worse than all wool socks.
So, I use a midweight wool sock.  If you go with trail runners or low
cut shoes, you might find low gaiters nice.

In summary:  Go to a store or make the best guess you can.  Do not get
big boots.  Spend some time hiking in the boots to see how they will
really behave on the trail.  If your feet stink (mine do), go with
wool socks.  Consider gaiters. Remember to go hiking.

Chris

----------------------
Chris Willett
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~cwillett
Department of Mathematics

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, David Smith wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am new to the list and have enjoyed lurking for a while..I've been away
from hiking for a while but am thinking/contemplating a thru-hike in 2003
and would like to get suggestions on boots....I know this subject has
probably been kicked to death in the past but any suggestions would be
appreciated!