[at-l] OT - Unification and other stuff

At 08:26 PM 6/7/2002 -0400, Thru Thinker wrote:

>kewl post! :)  just to comment on one part:  we in NC are in the middle
>of a very interesting court case about who owns the beach foreshore?  In
>most states it is clear that the public has lots of rights in the water
>and up to mean high water, but the tough issue is who owns the sandy
>beach landward of the high water mark, and how far landward of that mark
>(if any) does/should the public have any rights?  This is a tough one,
>with good arguments on both sides - likely headed for the NC Supreme
>Court some day either this year, or next . . .

In my (former) neck of the woods, Cape Ann, MA, there is an entity
called the Atlantic Path.  I recall a few articles in the local paper about
a year ago where one or two property owners in effect killed the path
by refusing public access over their property -- and the local judge,
alas, ruled in their favor.  You can get a little taste of this saga at

<http://www.worldskyline.com/users/rmac7/forrow/minutes.html>

It's a favorite ploy, at such places, to make beach access insanely
difficult.  Even so, during my years on Cape Ann I learned a number
of back alleys and walked more or less where I pleased.

On matters like this I'm reminded of a verse from Woody Guthrie's
classic tune, "This Land Is Your Land"  -- which goes something like:

   "As I went walking, I saw a sign there,
   And on that sign it said "No Trespassing"
   But on the other side, it didn't say nothing.
   That side was made for you and me."

Never heard that verse, you say?  It's one that
Arlo Guthrie sings when he performs the song,
a little gift from father to son.

rafe b.
aka terrapin