[at-l] Re: Why the Grand Unification Theory - isn't

At 08:55 PM 06/04/2002 -0400, Raphael Bustin wrote:

sAunTerer wrote:

I suspect the answer is in Maslow's hierarchy
of needs.

That may be part of the answer.  But for those non-caucasians

who are operating at the {quot}top of the pyramid,{quot} there are lots
of

choices for self-actualization.  So why are hiking, or other
similar

backcountry recreations, so rarely chosen?

Do you suppose they know what we do out there on the trail,

and consider it sublimely stupid?  That thought has occurred

to me, and lots of smart folks think that way (my wife, for
one.)

Those are the ones who haven't yet figured out that their higher needs
don't come from material stuff or... they've found another route to
meeting those higher needs.  Actually there are so few truly
'self-actualized' people in the world (Shane just might be one of them)
that I suspect it's the former rather than the latter.  BTW
self-actualization is not necessarily a function of intelligence as
defined in our society.

sAunTerer

text/html (html body -- converted)
---