[at-l] Black Flies

>Any comments from you folks?  I don't know whether this friend
>was from north or south, higher elevation or lower, a hiker or mall
>rat.  The reference in the last sentence is to the northern part of the

Last weekend we hiked in the Waterville Valley area of the Whites (near
where the ATC will be holding thier conference next year) between 2,000 and
4,000 feet and found a few black flies.

While hiking they weren't that bad at all.  I did put on some deet after
getting bit on a pit stop, but didn't really need to.  Hardly noticed them,
in fact.  At the higher elevations there were none that I noticed.  In camp,
they did come out to the point that without a head net, I would have been
uncomfortable.  It was cool enough that the black flies went away shortly
after dusk, and then first real mosquitos came in to play the night we
camped low near a boggy area.  Not especially bad in terms of numbers, but a
head net made things much more comfortable.

I would think that in a month the mosquitos (and perhpas the flies too)will
be much worse in a month.  I would definitely recommend a head net for camp,
and also long-sleeve bug-proof shirt and long pants (rain pants?) so you
don't get driven into your tent and away from the outdoor beauty.  I think
the bugs will get worse before they get better.  Not being a light-weight
hiker, I will probably start carrying garden gloves too for camp, but
suspect that I am one of the few who goes to such extreems.  Deet is a
given.  Camping higher will help some.

With the right trip planned, I bet they bugs become a footnote to your trip,
though.  Part of the tradition of hiking is to complain about them, right?

Rick B