[at-l] Technology....And Intrusive Discourtesy

>I suggest we lay off telling people what they can and can't bring on >the
>trail, and spend a little more time encouraging people (again, >usually
>section hikers) to understand what "trail courtesy" means.

Good post, Russ.  But there is another dimension to posts on the topic that
has to do with wanting to share neat it is to do without phones, and GPS's.
For some reason that doesn't always come through.  Such opinions too easily
come off as being condecending and judgemental, or coercive when they are
not ment to be.

Its not easy to articualte how good it feels to know that you are a bit more
on your own if you screw up (or are screwed unto) without a phone or
off-trail with no GPS.  Its not easy because it doesn't make sence.  This
past weekend I was thinking about that as we came down a very icy and steep
section of a trail on the backside of a 4,000 footer.  If I did more hiking
in the wilderness of the West, my little adventure would not have ment much.
  But I don't.  And it would have ment less still if I knew that if
something did get twisted on that icy trail, a simple call to the
authorities would be all that it took to make things better.  But how can
one really articulate that feeling of increased self-reliance?  It makes no
sense.  So, I think many of the posts we make concerning phones and the like
don't really convey what we mean to say, and come off like you describe.

I find it interesting that the ATC is struggling with different, but related
issues of the extent to which the Conference and maintaining clubs should
aid hikers in face of the predicted drought this summer.  In the "Overlook"
section of the ATN, they recognize a down side to some things that at first
blush appear to be 100% positive-- like monitoring water sources, and even
maintaing water tanks at road crossings.  Its interesting to ponder why they
are concerned about such intrusions.  On thier face they seem to make all
the sence in the world.  Like a phone being carried in the bottom of someone
else's pack.

Deeper down, such things can take something away, however.  It is hard to
articulate exactly what.  Sort of like cell phones in the backcountry--
whether they are in my pack, or in the pack of guy coming up behind me.  As
a realist I am willing to accept the reality of phones, and will never tell
anyone what they can and can not bring.

But they suck.

Rick B