[at-l] Technology....And Intrusive Discourtesy

Possibly not such a "simple call" to the authorities. Once off the ridge
line or off a mountain top, there are many areas that a cell phone gets
little or no signal. This demonstrates the fact that so far, there are not
so many cell phone towers to connect the hiker into the real world. Calls
to 911 may not even reach the appropriate county, or even find a center
that knows how to locate you. Consider the GSMNP, with little idea if you
will reach TN or NC. Even then, the local EMS may still prefer that you
evaluate your options to evacuate yourself.

One of the appropriate complaints about cell phones includes the concept
that folks will call 911 inappropriately, or use the cell phone rather than
preparation for the task and risks at hand. In my mind, this is a better
complaint than the idea that someone is calling to thank Payne/Webber for
their early retirement. In general, a cell phone only increases the places
from which a call for emergency assistance may be made while still
requiring the person find ways of getting to such a location. Inappropriate
use of 911 services can be and should be treated with financial and legal
corrective actions.

If a day, section, or thru hiker finds a cell phone in their pack helps
relieve anxiety for themselves or their family, I think it is as reasonable
as carrying an extra pair of socks or other redundancy. Doing without a
phone can be a symbol of success and accomplishment, and relieves them of
several ounces of gear. A discourteous person with a cell phone is a
problem in the woods or in the city. They are just as worthy of education
and pity as a poorly prepared person for the hazards of the woods and the
city. However, I just can't see getting one's panties in a wad over their
problem.

OrangeBug