[at-l] Technology....And Intrusive Discourtesy

I think some of you are mixing apples and oranges....

We all must agree that "modern technology" makes enjoying backpacking, =
and especially the AT, more enjoyable. If you disagree, well, then hike =
the AT the way Earl Shaffer did...with gas station road maps, wearing =
cotton and wool, and a blanket. Even Granny Gatewood depended on =
plastics for her "shower curtain" shelter.  Most of us use computer =
generated maps (you think the AT uses old surveyors to do those =
things?), titanium pots, and even "new" pop cans and bottles for our =
alcohol stoves.=20

That out of the way, the question then becomes a "slippery slope" =
one...how far can we accept "technology" before it becomes unacceptable. =
On that, I think the question must be, "when it becomes intrusive." =
That's why I phrase it as a "courtesy" issue.  In other words, if =
someone wants to bring a computer, that's their problem; I believe =
(despite what some may think) in HYOH.  If you're willing to carry the =
weight, it's not for me to say no. The same for phones, or radios, GPS =
units.  As long as people recognize that such things are intrusive, and =
keep them out of MY life, I can live with it, just like I expect (and I =
haven't met a thru hiker who abused it...as opposed to a lot of section =
hikers) people to NOT use their blast-furnace MSR stove at 10 pm right =
by the shelter when we're sleeping. That's NOT a technology issue...it's =
a courtesy one, in which being intrusive is the offense, not the use of =
a stove, or a phone, or a voice. In other words, it's HOW you use =
something, not WHAT you're using.=20

Ah, you say! Cell phones and radios beget towers. Despite what some say, =
yes they do. And the AT, sited along the dominant ridgetops from =
GA--->ME, can see a fair number of them. And as a result, they're =
intrusive in such places.  That's why the ATC (and others) fight them, =
just as much as wind farms, quarries, and other visually intrusive =
construction. I don't see much difference between someone rudely shoving =
a cell phone in my face at Partnership Shelter and someone (like =
Cingular or ATT) trying to shove a big hairy ass cell tower in my face =
in the view from Clingman's Dome: Both are offensive, and as such, rude =
ways to treat the trail and its denizens.=20

There are places where cell phones and the resulting towers aren't a =
necessary problem for the AT, such as near major roads or near towns, or =
where siting is otherwise not intrusive. And, in fact, the AT is often =
sited itself to avoid "seeing" such things (has anyone else actually =
gone to the top - the very summit - of Whitetop outside Damascus? You =
know what's there?). And if someone wants to carry dead weight, that's =
their problem.=20

I suggest we lay off telling people what they can and can't bring on the =
trail, and spend a little more time encouraging people (again, usually =
section hikers) to understand what "trail courtesy" means.=20

The Weasel

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---