[at-l] cell phones

At 09:17 PM 5/27/2002 -0400, sAunTerer wrote:

 > If we make phone service, electricity and all other conveniences of
'civilization'
 > available everywhere, how long will we continue to have any "wild" areas?

It's not a foolish question, but there is no answer.

Are you willing to forego DEET or insect repellent?  Without DEET
insects rule and smart humans know enough keep the heck out of the
woods in the early summer, where they clearly don't belong.  No
question that wilderness suffers from the use of such products.

Fact of the matter is that the development of human "civilization" is
in many regards a matter of defying nature's rules and going to
places where we don't belong -- under the sea, to outer space, the
top of Mt. Everest, on thru-hikes, etc. etc.

rafe b.
aka terrapin