[at-l] Future AT hiker...

"Brian McGarrahan" wrote:
>   Now, someone asked about my gear...  Well, everything I have is pretty
>much the cheapest stuff I can find.  I am very happy with my equipment so
>far.

Brian -
One of the things people on the list will always comment on is pack weight.
Almost everyone these days is into "lightweight".  And with good reason.
BUT -- the other side of the coin is that they don't have to carry your pack
- you do.  And for that reason, only YOU have to be happy with what you're
carrying.  Keep in mind that Earl Shaffer did his 1998 50th Anniversary
thruhike with essentially that same equipment that he used in 1948.  Even
the newest, best, lightest equipment won't get you where you're going - only
attitude will do that.

So I won't tell you that you "have to" lighten up. But I'll tell about
personal experience - my pack on the AT weighed in at about 27# (base
weight) plus food and water.  I never carried more than 2 qts of water and
rarely more than 4-5 days of food.  Total weight exceeded 40# only twice -
going into the Smokies and again into the "100 mile Wilderness" in Maine.
That was in '92.  My base weight for the CDT in 1999 was 23# including
winter gear.

Just for comparison, we have a good friend (Wolf) who thruhiked the PCT with
a 9# base weight pack.  And other friends who have carried 70# packs.  But
there's a price for each extreme.  If you know the price, and are willing to
pay it, that's cool.  If you don't know the price - then I'd suggest that
you find out before you commit to something you can't live with.

>Maybe I am just used to carrying around 80+ lbs. of gear which makes hiking
>feel light.  I am very interested in learning about lighter hiking, as long
>as I have a tent around me and not a >tarp/poncho/canteen whatever else
>they combo up to make a
>shelter out of...

LOL!!!  I wonder how many people thought you were talking about carrying an
80# pack?   Get OB or Shane (or someone --- anyone??) to point you at the
Backpackinglight list - I think you'd enjoy that one too.  I'm not on it at
the moment, but I think I will be soon.

Walk softly,
Jim