[at-l] hiking suggestions

> A friend who is new to backpacking and I are planning to take a six day trip
> to somewhere on the southern end of the trail next week, maybe Virginia.  Any
> suggestions for spectacular scenery, good parking place, and/or shuttles, so
> that she will want to continue backpacking.  She and I have base camped and
> day hiked for years, but she wants to backpack now.

I would go to Damascus, Virginia, and let the folks at Mt Rogers Outfitters
set you up with a shuttle and a place to park. Then have them take you to
someplace north of Grayson Highlands State Park -- exactly where they drop
you off depends entirely on how far you want to hike in 6 days:

64 miles: Mt Rogers NRA Headquarters
50 miles: Dickey Gap on Va. Route 16
41 miles: Fox Creek trailhead on Va. 603

The scenery is spectacular, the hiking is tough, and there is generally
plenty of water and places to camp (including shelters). Plus there are wild
horses in Grayson Highlands (added bonus). You'll pay $2 a day to park your
car, which includes a shower at the end (nice touch), and $40 or so for the
shuttle (depends on how far.)

The usual caveats apply -- I'm not related to MRO, nor can I judge how far
you can hike. YMMV. But it is a pretty great area.

Ken