[at-l] Future AT hiker...

>My pack is a Coleman Exponent Rush, holds everything well and is
>comfortable.  The only problem I have had with it was getting it >adjusted
>just right my first time out with it.  Other than that, I >cannot complain.

I was curious to see what Coleman has these days, in part because the very
first thru-hiker I saw on the AT (years back) had one an sang its praises.
I noticed because he had been out for 4 months +/- vs. just 4 days for me.
Anyway, your pack selection is way different, but sure looks good. At around
4 pounds it looks nice an light for what you get too.  As for fit, all
internal frame packs need a whole buch of adjusting before they really fit
well.

>My tent could be smaller and lighter.  A Great Basin dome tent, weighs >a
>little over 6 lbs.  It is quite easy to set up and take down.

That is heavy, but not by a huge amount, IMHO.  Especially if its an honest
weight with all the tent stakes.  I can see how one might want an extra $200
in thier pocket to start out, even if that meant an extra 2 pounds of tent.
You will lose style point for having a big tent, though.  Its not ideal, but
few things are.

>My bag weighs 3 lbs. and is rated to 40 degrees, comfortable it >
> >is...cheapest thing at Wal-Mart

I started in the middle of July (SOBO) with a K-Mart bag.  It worked out
fine, and the weight was great.  I needed to switch over to a warmer bag in
November.  Being cold will mean you cant sleep, which will mean you cant
walk well.  If you start with that bag NOBO, you would want to have a down
(or similar)jacket and long-johns.  Best thing to do is get out and sleep
with what you have on cold nights. There will be some between now and next
year.  No rush. See if your combo works.  If you do end up spending money on
a warmer bag, don't put out the Walmart one at a garage sale, because I bet
you end up using that one too when the weather gets warmer.

>I have looked into making one of those little alcohol stoves from pop
> >cans, just haven't had the time or energy yet.

For about $20 you can get the original Trangia stove that weight just a bit
more, and started all the alchol stove interest.  You loose very few style
point for doing this, plus you get a screw on cap to save any extra remaing
alchohol right in your stove that may be left un-burnt. Thats all I use
these days.

>to any hike.  Most of the time  I manage well.  Maybe I am just used to
>carrying around 80+ lbs. of gear which makes hiking feel light.

Lighter is always better, all other things being equal, no matter how strong
you are.  When it comes to an extra 2 or 3 or 5 or (oh god) even 8 pounds, a
fit young firefighter does have some options that a 79 year old man or a 85
pound ballerina does not.  Its real important to think of everything in
terms of weight for everyone, though.  If you decide to take anything that
will weigh more than the kinds of standards you will hear tossed around,
thats OK.  You just want to make sure that you get something important in
return.

A case in point:  Most thru-hikers think that camp/town shoes are
indespensibe.  I was one of the very few who thouht otherwise.  If I
suggested that 1 pound (?) of Tevas was not very smart, I think the corus
would stronly disagree.  WHo is right?  There is no right.  Many people
believe they are getting a huge retun on what I look at as dead weight. Same
goes for a heavy tent, or whatever. The costs vs. benfits are different for
everyone. Sleeping pads are another example.  Some like 'em long and cushy,
others like them short and lighter.  Everything is a trade off.  Sometimes
it doesn't seem that way on the internet though.  Having extra cash in ones
pocket may be the most important "gear" of all, IMHO.  No way of knowing,
but I'll be more young and fit people have had thier trips called short by
not having an extra $300 than by the pain of lugging an extra 7 or 8 pounds.
  One parting thought is that cheaper gear (rain gear, sleeping pads,
cooking pots, and more) is often actually better than the expensive stuff
for a thru hike.  There should be some good advise in that regard on this
list too.

Rick Boudrie

(Who takes shorter hikes these days, so only believe about 85% of what I
post, if that)