[at-l] Trip Report "Great North Mountain" and a "Skeeter" sighting

Hi folks, I spent the weekend hiking a few trails on the "Great North
Mountain" trails (PATC map F) with a friend from work.  We didn't do great
big miles but had a blast anyway.  These trails traverse the WV/VA border
through the foothills and smaller elevations of the Lee Ranger District of
the "George Washington National Forest" (GWNF).

5/10/02

Drove to a friend from work's house in Vienna, VA and met up with him at
about 10am.  The drive to the GWNF is about 95 miles with a nice stop at a
country store in Linden, VA  for a country ham sandwich and a few "to die
for" apple cinnamon doughnuts.  Then on to the parking area.  After parking
the car at the Wilson Cove gated road, we started our gentle ascent towards
White Rock Cliffs (4.5 miles) on the Old Mail Path Trail which connects to
the Tuscarora Trail.  At this point we were starting to get under some tree
canopy and the breezes picked up, with much relief from the scorching sun.
Temps were in the mid-70's and you could feel the heat from lack of any
breeze on the lower elevations.  We found the white-orange blazed cut-off
trail (.3 miles) to the White Rock Cliffs and we came upon several
convenient campsites.  Setting up camp was a breeze.  I would be using a
Campmor 8 X10 tarp for the first time with a plastic ground sheet, Ridgerest
pad and my Marmot Wasatch bag.  We commenced making this our home for the
night, collecting firewood and getting comfortable.  After eating dinner and
making camp we spent a few hours admiring the stars and valley below from
the cliffs proper.  Note to anybody familiar with this area:  My buddy
Dennis thought he could see the lights of Panorama on the Shenandoah
Mountain Range in the distance.  I had heard that it was closed, due to not
making a profit.  And I didn't believe the lights would be strong enough to
see that far.  Am I wrong.  Amyinmd would you know?

5/11/02

Upon waking up, I regretted not bring my Thermarest BaseCamp (Luxury Model)
Beast.  Boy, did my back hurt and I kept waking up every couple of hours to
boot.  I sure don't want to carry the BaseCamp Beast, but sleep is another
story.  I may just have to find a better sleep pad or a way to lighten the
load to justify carrying the larger pad.  Oh well, live and learn I always
say.  As we were leaving the camp who should walk up but our own "Skeeter"
(Mark Hudson) from the AT-L.  What a surprise!?!   Just yesterday I was
explaining to my buddy that another buddy was hiking the TT, but I didn't
know where he would be at this point in time.  He wasn't sure who I was
until I said I met him at the PARuck and we had had fun trying to give Susan
B. the trailname of "Pebbles" (it's a hair thing), I don't think she took
that name, tho. Sorry Susan, hope you're having a great hike also.  I told
Skeeter about the passing of Earl Schaffer and he showed great regret that
we had truly lost a trail icon.  He did say he was about fifty miles from
his completion point (Mathews Arm in SNP) and was trying to make it to the
Woodstock, VA area for the night.  After some more conversation he was off
to see the cliffs and us to continue our journey.

Today we would follow the Tuscarora Trail to the Half-Moon Lookout trail
cut-off.  We passed several small springs (on trail, running well), Sugar
Knob Cabin (excellent spring, running well) and were confused as to where
the trail led a little after the Cabin.  At the intersection of the Mill
Mountain Trail (towards the Big Schloss) the TT goes right or east and an
unmarked trail heads straight (sign said: Closed for reseeding) there may
have been a TT relocation.  The first mile is rocks that would put PA to
shame, then a half mile of stream running right down the trail, quite boggy.
Several slips and slides later we came upon the Intersection of the Trout
Pond Run Trail/Waites Run and the Half Moon Trail.  Met several dayhikers
doing their loop hikes some with dogs (they were very well behaved).
Decided to hike the 1 ¾ mile Half Moon Trail to it's spectacular campsites
and peak view.  Very large meadow like setting with a large fire pit, small
cliffs below and a summit trail leading up to an old fire tower foundation.
Lots of rock scrambles and magnificent views awaited us.  After setting up
camp we spent several hours watching the Turkey Vultures catch the thermals.
Dinner and a short rest made us ready to sit on the cliffs and watch day
turn into night while trying to make out the lights below.

5/12/02

Packed up, fire out, ticks picked off, we're on our way out.  I positioned
the tarp and sleeping arrangement last night on a grassy section of the Half
Moon meadow-style campsite and it greatly improved by back pain and I
finally got a full nights sleep.  Today we would hike the Half Moon Trail
back to where the Waites Run Trail would take us to the Trout Pond Road.
This trail follow Waites Run, a gently flowing spring that ends about 3.5
miles south down to a raging stream.  This was very easy hiking and we had
to criss-cross the stream at least six or seven times.  There were several
very nice spots to stop and filter water and plentiful campsites in the
lower section of trail, closer to Trout Pond Road.  Weather was very humid,
overcast and muggy, due to the proximity of the stream.  Wouldn't you know
it, at the last stream crossing I slipped on a muddy rock, just as I was
reaching the other side and smashed my right knee really hard into mud
puddle with a rock under it.  OUCHY!!

Well this facilitated a small rest and repair the body function.  Clean dirt
away from skin, shoes/socks now soaked.  Remove more mud, find large gash
bleeding quite readily on end of knee.  Clean blood up as best as I can.
Dry area with shirt.  Attach anti-biotic cream and bandage.  Bandage falls
off due to sweat, duct tape hold up better.  Continue hiking.  Feel no pain
during this entire foray.  Just my pride is hurt.  My buddy says lets drop
the packs and slack the last mile back to the car (we'll pick 'em up in a
minute).  This hike was great.  No pain in the knees, no cramps.  Stayed
very well hydrated the whole time.

We make it back to the car with plenty of time to pick up some flowers and
get home to make my wife a great steak dinner baked-potatoes, salad and
corn-on-the-cob.  Then to bed early in a REAL bed with
pillows......aaaaaahhhhhhhh.........ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz......