[at-l] Future AT hiker...

In a message dated 5/12/2002 11:46:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bmcgarrahan@sc.rr.com writes:

> Now, someone asked about my gear...  Well, everything I have is pretty
> much the cheapest stuff I can find.  I am very happy with my equipment so
> far.  My pack is a Coleman Exponent Rush, holds everything well and is
> comfortable.

     *** While many do the Trail with basic gear, you'll find most of the
contemporary Trail talk to be about the newest, more high-tech (or low tec
downsizing) designs. You can use just about anything to haul your load up the
Trail, but most will find that a basic external frame low-cost pack will
exaggerate some of the more typical problems in carrying a pack for prolonged
periods. That said, the originals like Earl Shaffer used simple ruck type
packs and made it anywho...

  The only problem I have had with it was getting it adjusted
> just right my first time out with it.

     *** Trust me, that's probably going to happen again...

  Other than that, I cannot complain.
> My tent could be smaller and lighter.  A Great Basin dome tent, weighs a
> little over 6 lbs.

     *** (Basketball buzzer sound) Find a lighter tent period. 6 pounds now a
days is like tying rocks to your pack. Trust me, if you get the right bug
screen/tarp arrangement you won't mind lighterweight or even tarps. You will
thank yourself. If you really need a tent, much lighter enclosed tents are
available at 1/2 that weight or even a third...
    I know this sounds a little arrogant perhaps, but people who are more
familiar with the AT see these kinds of things from newbies all the time.
Some of us had the same plans, made the same mistakes, and learned. The Trail
out of Springer is littered with the cast-offs of persons learning this the
hard way. Once you become part of the weathered through-hiker pack you'll
laugh at some of your preconceptions and unnecessary gear. I myself think of
my extra town set of cotton jeans and shirt going home from Monson at first
chance. The flip of this is to not omit critical survival items (keep
asking)...

  It is quite easy to set up and take down.  My bag weighs
> 3 lbs. and is rated to 40 degrees, comfortable it is...cheapest thing at
> Wal-Mart ( the place that gets more of my paycheck than any other.)

     ***  (Next buzzer sound) You need a warmer bag or extra liner period.
Especially if you're leaving early to try for under 6 months. If you plan to
bring 1 bag and take 5 months, you're going to hit temperatures well under
40*. Don't fool with this variable. The sleeping bag cocoon is your safety
net out there during trouble...

  My
> little camp stove, albeit light, is large and clunky. I have looked into
> making one of those little alcohol stoves from pop cans,
> just haven't had the time or energy yet.

     *** You should probably consider the can stove if you intend a low
budget hike. I would wait and ask a separate category question on this in the
future because the choices are many and involved...

>   I have never weighed my gear prior
> to any hike.  Most of the time  I manage well.  Maybe I am just used to
> carrying around 80+ lbs. of gear which makes hiking feel light.  I am very
> interested in learning about lighter hiking, as long as I have a tent
> around
> me and not a tarp/poncho/canteen whatever else they combo up to make a
> shelter out of...

   ***  Think: 80lbs = no job. But seriously, to save injury, slow hiking,
and diminished experience, go with 30 to 45 lbs total as a good goal. You'll
find that you'll adjust to the comfort changes soon enough and thank yourself
in easier hiking and better mileage. I say this because you expressed a time
limit with consequences and need to do it in under 6 months (very doable on
average). After a few months on the Trail, some are amazed at hiking
abilities they never realized they had in them...

     You would be surprised how many people started out not wanting to go too
rough and ended up realizing how easy it was and how their fears were
needless concerning the woods... (and never say 80 lbs again!)    :)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---