Re[4]: [at-l] future AT hiker

That is a good reason to reccommend section hiking. If one of the goals
of a hike is to keep an important job, why bother? Stay at home and
keep the job!

My point to the future hiker was not to tell him specific daily
distances down to the 8 decimal places, but to offer the idea of
budgeting the time and effort and to consider the fact that others have
found such schedules feasible. As you have noted, it is very easy to
crank up Calculator and run the numbers based on 100, 120, 150, 180 or
how many days one wishes to walk.

It is a whole 'nuther thing to crank up the boots to walk those
numbers. The motivation to maintain a thru hike is worth the
speculation, especially as a small percentage find it worthwhile to
complete after lengthy planning.

Bill...