[at-l] Religious meanings

Hey everyone-
I'm new to the list and hoping to do the Trail next
spring. I'm a grad student in Religious Studies at the
University of California, Santa Barbara. My dream is
to write my dissertation about the Trail. I was
wondering if any of you had ideas or stories for me. I
was originally thinking of looking at nature/the Trail
as sacred space. More recently I have begun to see the
term 'pilgrimage' used to describe thru-hiking
experiences, and I think that might make for an
interesting study. Does anyone have thoughts on
religious meanings or symbols of the AT? Are most of
the people who hike it religious or spiritual? What
does the Trail represent to you? At the moment I am
just looking for ideas. This isn't my official study
or anything.

Thanks!
Kelly