[at-l] (Guest Post) Erwin Report.....

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Jack Tarlin <Baltimorejack@hotmail.com>.
* Please use <mailto:Baltimorejack@hotmail.com> to reply to the sender.

    Hello again....still in Erwin as it's raining buckets today, starting to look like a day off, and why not?  Life is good at Miss Janet's excellent new hostel, which is beating the tar outta the other place, which shall remain nameless.  The lamentable owner of the other place, who I won't embarass by naming here, has essentially been reduced to venting his frustration at Miss J.'s teenage daughters by making rude and obscene gestures when he sees them driving by---real southern gentleman, dontcha know.....he then LIED to Miss J's face when she confronted him about it even tho there were witnesses in her daughter's car....this is REALLY gettin' outta hand,and it's entirely unnecessary, it's not like there isn't enough business to go around; in any case, the efforts to disrupt and harass Miss Janet's business (surprise visits from cops checking out (anonymous) noise complaints, health inspectors, fire department folks, etc----this is turning into a weekly thing, but the hikers all know about it, and the negative backlash will eventually take it's toll; it's amazing how the word-of-mouth system works out here----hikers KNOW who's for real and who's full of it, and most folks have decided to skip the other place and it's unhappy proprietor long before they get to Erwin; I'm sure 99% of the Southbounders will do likewise.  As for me, I decided I'd had enough when I saw he was using my name and mentioning my previous visits on his ads and flyers---pardon me, bub, but you might've ASKED first, as I'm not in the habit of doing promotions or plugs for commercial businesses, nor do I approve of seeing these things in shelters or elsewhere on public land, which is not merely unsightly, but also illegal.  In any case, I really resent his using my name (as well as Earl's, Nimblewill Nomad's, etc.) without permission or consent in order to plug his now-deserted establishment.  Oh, he also used Warren Doyle's nmae, but I don't really care about that, that fellow ENJOYS publicity, even if it means being connected to Uncle J
. in Erwin....  However, using MY name in order to promote a place I no longer stay at seems more than a little ridiculous; come to think of it, last year, I paid Miss J. to haul my crippled ass  all the way to Kincora precisely so I WOULDN'T have to stay at this guy's place a second night; DAMN, but I wanted outta there.

   Anyway, very glad to be here which is an oasis of sanity compared to the other place; at least here the proprietor doesn't listen in on your phone calls, isn't rude to folks not planning to spend the night (in fact, Miss J's is open ALL DAY as a place for folks to rest, clean up, use the computer, do a load of wash, etc.----while she'd love it if everyone stayed, she doesn't care if you're a paying guest or not).  Oh, and there aren't little signs up in her bathrooms here imploring guests not to steal buttwipe, like there are in the other place.  Wow, those were funny.  Even thru and thru honest folks generally lifted half a roll on general principle when they saw those little signs!

    Well,gotta run, off to inspect the metroplis; am looking to find some nice postcards of the poor elephant that got herself lynched in this town some years back ( and no, I'm not making that up!).  Just wanted to report in on doings in town, so folks planning to hike later this year, or next, know what's going on here and can make their lodging plans accordingly.  Anyone with questions, or for that matter, anyone WHO questions what I've written above is most welcome to get back to me; believe me, I've left an awful lot out; the situation here is really getting unpleasant, it's all unnecessary, and it's been terribly tough on Miss Janet, who is merely trying to establish a legitimate business and take care of her hikers.  Oh, anyone passing thru should check out http://www.geocities.com/missjanets house or call 423-743-1932 but they should absolutely drop be here if you're in the area.....any friends who see this are welcome to call or write later as it looks like I may be here awhile.  See some of you before long in Damascus or somewhere down the line, best wishes to all--------Jack