[at-l] How to use a platypus

At 03:38 PM 4/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I got a new Platypus for christmas before last and have never used
>it.  There are no instructions with it and I am wondering how I should
>carry it on (or in) my pack.  Should it be filled all the way?  What
>about air left in it?  Any suggestions for care and feeding of the
>Platypus appreciated.  Five days till hiking!
>Tin Man

You can put it anywhere in the pack that you like.  I have one pack that
has a large pocket on the top with its opening toward the frame.  I put
mine in there when using that pack but if you have it high and the bite
valve isn't tight, it may leak.  Yes, fill it all the way.  You'll just
have to suck out any air you leave in it especially if you put it lower in
the pack than your mouth (which is most places in the pack).  I've never
put anything but water in mine so I've never "washed" it.  I rinse it with
clean water and leave the cap off until the inside dries if it's going to
be stored for a while.  CAUTION!  The one big negative to any hydration
system is that you don't know you are running out of water until you have
run out.  Carry a small reserve bottle.

sAunTerer