[at-l] How to use a platypus

> I got a new Platypus for christmas before last and have never used
> it.  There are no instructions with it and I am wondering how I should
> carry it on (or in) my pack.  Should it be filled all the way?  What
> about air left in it?  Any suggestions for care and feeding of the
> Platypus appreciated.  Five days till hiking!
> Tin Man

	I presume this is a Hoser (the ones with a drinking tube). I've found
that you can carry them in any convenient pocket. Peggy keeps hers in
the top pouch of her pack, I've used my in various pockets high and low,
depending on the pack I'm using.

	The trick I've found for best flow is to make sure the cap is 'down',
so that the water doesn't have to be sucked up and out of the bag.
Before I discovered this I 'ran out' of water part-way to the next water
source, only to discover the platy still partially full. It had just
become too hard to suck any more water up.

	As to the other questions, squeeze out excess air to make it less
bulky. It's easy to overfill with my filter, so I have to be aware of
that. I like that I can attach the Hoser's tubing directly to the
outflow of the filter and leave the outflow tubing that came with the
filter at home. All in all it seems reasonably tough  - no problems with
leaks or seams giving way.

	I was rather dubious of the design at first (they were a free
promotional) since I typically dislike the slowness of drinking from a
tube, but I've really come to like having the ability to drink whenever
I wish without slowing my pace. Definitely a nice system. Enjoy your
platy, and have fun on the trail!

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com