[at-l] is 4300 cu. in. big enough?

Well, I don't know the specific bag you are looking at. There are a few
ways to look at packs, size and weight. In general, I'd take all of your
gear and 6 quarts of water down to your local outfitters. The 6 quarts will
be about 12 pounds or a little over the usual 5 day supply of food. Stuff
those quarts in your food bag. Start stuffing your gear into the bag and
find out what fits.

The danger of too large a bag is that people tend to fill them up. The
danger of too small a bag is that folks might cut corners on some safety
gear/extra clothing - particularly with cold weather camping.

If your plan is for 5 days of food at 35 pounds or less, you are talking
about 23-25 pounds for backpack, clothing, shelter and sleeping system. Not
all that long ago, that would look ultra light. Let's see 8 pound back
pack, 6 pound tent, 5 pound synthetic sleeping bag, 2 pound mattress pad, 1
pound water pump, 1 pound of cooking gear. I think that is something like
23 pounds without any rain gear or extra layers.

OrangeBug