[at-l] Thoughts of Slackpacking:

I'd like to thank everyone who has given their advice on this topic.  I'd
like to respond to everyone, but in the interests of bandwidth, I'll pick on
OB, since he's been doing a pretty good job of slapping me up the head where
I need it.

> Remember what I said about thinking you have a clue? I suspect
> that you are prime candidate for a dope slap up the head.

See?

> At some point, you might discover that you teach more via
> scratching your chin and asking the dreamer what
> they make of the dream rather than offering your dream
> interpretations.

This is something he and I have discussed intimately for a long time.  So,
while I thought I had an idea of his dream and how his dream differed from
my dream, perhaps you are right and I have no  clue.

> I don't know this Warren dude, but I bet he has a handle on this.
> I'm betting that he is learning how to find ways for the dreams
> of your friend and his wife to coexist.

This has never been HER dream.  HER dream has been to stay home while he
goes off and does his thing.  Unless I haven't been paying attention for
several years, I don't think she'll enjoy this for very long.

If he goes this route, and the SHE gives up on it - because it isn't that
important to her - then HE quits because she quits...  I can see a lot of
disappointment and resentment down the road...

I'm not saying that the idea is unsound or unworkable for people.  I just
don't think it's very smart for these particular people.

> Anyone talked with you yet about the re-entry process following
> a hike?

I have never actually experienced this 'problem'.  I seem to move back and
forth between worlds rather well.  I was waiting until we actually went
hiking and came home to see what his reaction was before telling him how he
might feel and inadvertently planting the subconscious suggestion that he
will have a lot of trouble coming home.  Previous hikers I have broken in
all respond differently, and I don't like to set them up for something that
may be no big deal.  I'd be willing to hear other people's comments on this
subject, however, and I can keep them in a file until the time comes.  New
thread?

Thanks.

Shane