Re[4]: [at-l] Re: The Bryson Book, wade right in and stir it up

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:42:30 -0400 "Bob C." <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:

SNIP...I've resolved  to never again hit the send key at 1:30 a.m. , especially after waking
up from falling asleep at the computer.

I was wondering about that Weary and as this seems to be a morning of mea culpas I know first hand of what you speak. I was caught up in the thrill of the moment last night and posted something I instantly regretted. I know there are some on the list who believe I don't have one (thank you for the fan mail), but my normally strong moral character (OB will recognize this as the Super Ego) waned for a wee moment and just as soon as I hit SEND, it reappeared.  I lay awake last night tossing and turning and torturing myself by lying on a bed of glass shards and lashing myself with long black leather straps, log chains, hot candle wax, Wagner recordings and selected passages from "A Walk In The Woods" and "LOTR" until I was exhausted and sleep finally arrived around daybreak. (Jim will recognize this as S&M) Upon waking, a perfectly resonable and sound justification for my behavior had occured to me:
1. My question related directly to an everyday occurence in the natural world
2. He set it up
3. My question made as much sense as his did
4. The flesh is weak. And as Oscar Wilde remarked, "The quickest way to rid one's self of temptation is to yield to it."

Upon more sober reflection, I realized that as my paranoid szchophrenic cousin was always fond of saying, "Two wrongs don't make a right."  He was certified insane but it made sense sort of until we started studying New Math and the Number Line in school in which I learned that it was possible in some dimensions for two negatives to make a positive.  It was confusing as hell but then it was Math toward which I have alway shared with Picasso the debility of seeing 7 as a nose and 2 as a swan.

Anyway, where was I?  Yes, right, uhhhh, as someone who has Proustian sensibilities refined by the loving memory of the distinct, yet subtle scents of each shelter on the AT, not to mention really gorgeous hiking legs, I'm also sensitive to those who have even finer sensibilities than flea down to which they may have been taken aback, taken umbrage or simply swooned and had to be taken away because of my question.  I apologize to those who were offended.  I do not apologize to those of you ROTFL. Philistines!

Mea Balls