[at-l] Virus in Water

At 10:03 AM 4/14/02 -0700, Orange Bug wrote:
>There are many viruses living in natural bodies of water. The important
>thing is whether or not they are human pathogens. No one has said that
>springs and creeks are free of viruses, only that the CDC hasn't found
>adequate risk to advice travelers in backcountry to use purifiers or
>other treatments focused on viruses.

Excellent point.  Aside from that I have a work acquaintance who is a farm
wife.  She frequently contends that farm children grow up healthier than
city kids because the farm kids are exposed to and develop immunity to a
lot of pathogens that city kids are shielded from.  I've read some articles
concerning the obsession of some parents who run around cleaning everything
with anti-bacteria cleaners all the time contributing to this
phenomenon.  Perhaps some of us grew up 'too clean' for our own good.

As for filters, the First Need filters down to .4 microns absolute.  I know
they call it a 'purifier' but they aren't using chemicals to kill anything
and they measure the effectiveness by the "size" of what passes through, so
that makes it a "filter" in my book regardless of what they call it.  FWIW
I believe that my MRS also filters to .4 microns if I remember correctly
and I see on their web site that they now have a model that filters to .2
microns.

Remember that the point of advertising is to sell you the product.  It's up
to you to filter (pun intended) the information they throw at you to
determine if it's really better or even what you need.

sAunTerer (who's never gotten sick using his MSR Miniworks in 5 years)