[at-l] Re: Law in the Jungle WAS: Stiffed by Hiker & Murder indictment.

> There's  a fascinating story in the current "outside" about Peter
> Blake, the guy
> who  captained  two  Americas  Cup  victories  and set a round
> the world sailing
> record of 75 days.
>
> He  was  killed  when  some  punk  thieves boarded his boat off
> the mouth of the
> Amazon, apparently seeking watches to peddle.
>
> Blake  grabbed  his  rifle and ended up getting killed.

The incidence of piracy on the open seas is actually shockingly high.  Being
off topic, I'll simply provide a link:

http://www.lubrinco.com/ejournal/ej199908.pdf

(In 1999, 229 incidents, 400 persons held hostage, 50 killed)

***

I need to make it clear that when I started this thread that I do not
advocate the gun slinging mentality of the old west.  When faced with armed
pirates, highwaymen, and other armed undesirables, such heroics are often a
BAD idea.  See Weary's story above.

Shane