[at-l] Self Doubt (How to help a Newbie: Update 4 - Part II)

On 11 Apr 2002 at 16:25, AHuthmaker@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/11/02 2:57:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> rafe.bustin@verizon.net writes:
>
> <<   I can't tell you what it takes to
>  succeed.  I can tell you why I didn't:  I simply lost interest.
>  The ratio of enjoyment to effort wasn't enough to sustain
>  the quest. >>
>
> First, let me say that as one who has never backpacked for a serious amount
> of time, my opinion here could be quite worthless *S*.
>     However, I think you have hit on the most important reason why people
> succeed or don't.  It seems to be that a thru hike cannot be based on the
> emotions brought about by your usual adventures.  The excitement that comes
> from undertaking something new and big just simply cannot be sustained for
> sixth months.  So the question is, what mind set does work?   What about
> taking the approach that this is a job?  It's not supposed to be full of fun
> and adventure.  I am interested to know if some of you serious long-distance
> hikers think of it that way?

Very, very interesting.  As my attitude went downhill, I observed
that my hike had many of the attributes of a job.  Like the 9-to-5
kind.  Like, "not fun."  And it occurred to me that I had set out to
have fun, that fun was a pretty high priority.  After all, if I'd wanted
a job, I wouldn't have quit a perfectly good one in order to do my
hike.  I had spent two months traveling 700 miles.  I didn't see
the point of spending four more months not having fun, in order to
prove a point (and to whom?)

Let me tell you...  there have been regrets.  I cried for hours and
hours as I was actually leaving the trail.  And in the years since,
I often wished I'd pushed myself harder to continue.

rafe b.
aka terrapin