[at-l] Foolish Night Hike

> Been very luck in my life as far as friends go. I'll
> never be rich monetarily...but my life has been rich
> in other ways.
>
> Life is good.

This really struck me, and I thought I'd comment.  Three and a half years
ago my very good friend Deanna died of an extremely rare form of cancer at
age 26.  Her disease is so rare that she was the subject of several journal
articles, which took over a year to kill her.

She never took life very seriously, and never took college seriously
either - choosing instead to make friends and enjoy life.  Most of those
friends stuck with her and were a wonderful support in her time of need.
Near the end of her days, she remarked to me, 'I'm glad I played around so
much and have so many friends.  If I'd have taken life seriously, where
would I be now?'  She died three days later, and was very satisfied that her
life had been 'rich'.

Hiking and other outdoor activities are a kind of 'wealth' that we can all
afford - and should make time for.

Shane