[at-l] Foolish Night Hike

At 06:51 AM 4/2/02 -0800, Paul Magnanti wrote:
>Been very luck in my life as far as friends go. I'll
>never be rich monetarily...but my life has been rich
>in other ways.

I've been thinking lately about how lucky I am.  No, I never even come
close in the lottery or anything involving Lady Luck but I am lucky
none-the-less.  I've had two employees just this week tell me about their
health worries/problems.  One has 5 years to go before he qualifies for
early retirement and wonders if he'll live that long.  No, it's not
hypochondria.  He's had surgery twice for cancer, has diabetes, high blood
pressure and heart problems.  The other is worried about a pain around his
gall bladder.  He's only in his late twenties but there is a family history
of gall bladder cancer and his mother died young of it.  I have at least 4
other employees, all younger than I with chronic and/or life threatening
heath problems.  As I look around at other parts of my agency I see the
same pattern.  Yet here I am looking forward to retirement (current plan is
for 4/3/03) with nothing more than a pair or slightly mangled knees from
running/hiking and a family history of longevity.  If I live as long as my
mother, my employer's retirement plan may go broke.  ;-) Yes, I am a lucky guy.

>Life is good.

I second that Mags.

sAunTerer