[at-l] Water filter alternatives

I used Potable Aqua, the iodine tablets, for my entire thruhike.  Over the
years, I've kind of gotten used to the taste so I don't bother with the
"neutralizing tablets" (aka ascorbic acid, aka vitamin C) that you can get
with Potable Aqua Plus.

Like with bleach, you do have to wait to give the tablets time to act.  If
you are planning on adding any drink mixes, you should also wait to add
those, too, as they often contain ascorbic acid which would otherwise halt
the purifying action of the iodine.  If you previously had a drink mix in
your water container, don't forget to rinse thoroughly before adding the
tablets.  You don't want leftover stuff neutralizing the iodine before it
can act.

You might also want to consider Polar Pure, an iodine solution.

There is also a relatively new option called Aqua Mira or Pristine
(depending on where you find it - they are the same product.)  These
products make use of chlorine dioxide and involve two chemicals to be mixed
just prior to adding to the suspect water.  You can find some amazingly
thorough reviews (both scientific and otherwise) of these products at the
following site: