Re[2]: [at-l] OT-Just Got mail from Amazon on Hikershandbook

"...I wonder exactly how much changes year to year . . . given the delays, seems
like most hikers leaving this spring would be better off using an edition from
any of the past couple of years . . ."

 Very little changes from year to year. Most trail things are pretty stable and
 getting more so as the trail is gradually purchased by the US Forest Service
 and the National Park Service.

 But stores and hostels change from time to time. This is important only when
 hikers seek a badly needed item of food and gear. Nothing is more irritating
 than walking miles or hitching miles to reach a facility that no longer exists.

 Having said this, I walked in 1993 with a 1991 book. I found several changes,
 but usually some hiker I met on the trail already  had alerted me before I
 arrived.

  No book, any year, is totally accurate. Obviously, hikers seek the most
  up-to-date information about trail side facilities available.

  My advice is to buy the latest guide you can find and to not worry about it's
  age. REgardless some information will be wrong and 99.99 plus percent will be
  useful.

  Weary