From: Bob C.
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 11:26 PM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re[2]: [at-l] OT-Just Got mail from Amazon on Hikershandbook

"...I wonder exactly how much changes year to year . . . given the delays=
, seems
like most hikers leaving this spring would be better off using an edition=
 from
any of the past couple of years . . ."

Very little changes from year to year. Most trail things are pretty stabl=
e and
getting more so as the trail is gradually purchased by the US Forest Serv=
ice
and the National Park Service.

But stores and hostels change from time to time. This is important only w=
hen
hikers seek a badly needed item of food and gear. Nothing is more irritat=
ing
than walking miles or hitching miles to reach a facility that no longer e=
xists.

Having said this, I walked in 1993 with a 1991 book. I found several chan=
ges,
but usually some hiker I met on the trail already  had alerted me before =
arrived.

  No book, any year, is totally accurate. Obviously, hikers seek the most
  up-to-date information about trail side facilities available.

  My advice is to buy the latest guide you can find and to not worry abou=
t it's
  age. REgardless some information will be wrong and 99.99 plus percent w=
ill be
  useful.

  Weary