[at-l] Highlands Coalition: Saving the Highlands

In a message dated 3/21/2002 8:07:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
papa_bear_nyc@yahoo.com writes:

> Does any one know any of these movers and shakers?  Do they have a
> snowball's chance in h$ll with this Congress at this point in time?  Anyone
> know how we can help out? Should the ATC or the NYNJTC join the coalition?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Pb

     ***   This movement is not new. I went to one of their public meetings
less than ten years ago. From my memory, part of this project was already
accepted and funded by NY and NJ states. I assume they are going for the
entire uplands now (great). If you're not from the area, the Highlands are a
semi-plateau of ridges and granite uplands left by the glaciers with mountain
tarns, forests, bogs etc. The AT goes right through them from Waywayanda to
Connecticut. They are of similar geological origin and fairly evenly max-out
in elevation at around 1300 to 1500 feet. The Hudson River AT crossing is
technically a gorge cutting through the Highlands formation. The reason why
they are a good piece to ask for is that they geographically confine the
worst urban zones of the NYC metropolis. Their uplands are a natural divide
that separates the country from the suburbs and possess many original species
and habitats still. The NY/NJ Trail Conference was virtually born out of
these hills and the AT saw its first 8 miles installed in their midst in
Harriman. As a contiguous preserved area they would serve as a healthy water
resource for the area previously described...

    Believe it or not this area was recently bound by a hiking trail called
the Highlands Trail that traverses their length from the Delaware River to
the Hudson. The NY/NJTC site should possess more information...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---