[at-l] Tree blight in the Hudson Hoighlands

In a message dated 3/21/2002 11:15:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
papa_bear_nyc@yahoo.com writes:

> I noticed a sizable group of trees that had some kind of blight.  The bark
> was red and was flaking off. Most trees seemed to be mature pines and were
> dead or dying.
>
> Check this web page which I just put up (part of a trip report under
> construction):

> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/shakedown_hudsonhighlands.html#trees
>
> This looked serious.  Anyone know what this is?  Is it treatable?  Do the
> "authorities" know about it?

    ***  It is. It's the Hemlock Blight or Woolly Adelgid sp? a tree borer
that chokes off the sap flow and drains the tree of life.

              It is treatable in isolated stands that can be sprayed and
monitored. I'm not sure if this was an introduced foreign invader or existing
pest that found an easier target in pollution stressed trees...

        Next time take a look at the oaks...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---