[at-l] Tree blight in the Hudson Hoighlands

I was hiking today in the Hudson Highlands, about 10 miles north of the =
Bear Mountain Bridge.  I noticed a sizable group of trees that had some =
kind of blight.  The bark was red and was flaking off. Most trees seemed =
to be mature pines and were dead or dying.

Check this web page which I just put up (part of a trip report under =
construction):

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/shakedown_hudsonhighla=
nds.html#trees

This looked serious.  Anyone know what this is?  Is it treatable?  Do =
the "authorities" know about it?
etc.

Please check it out.
Pb