[at-l] Cell phone connection availability

At 11:36 PM 3/18/02 -0500, you wrote:

>     Hiking gear like, boots, packs, tents, sleeping bags, stoves etc are
>*PASSIVE* technology meant to assist the hiker in exploring and existing in
>nature for prolonged periods. They actually help the wilderness experience by
>facilitating longer visits out into the backcountry without detracting from
>the surroundings.

Funny, that is the precise definition of a celphone for me.

It "facilitating longer visits out into the backcountry without detracting
from
the surroundings. "

My parents are  in their 80s and not in stable health.  When I get my
cellphone, I
will be able to, again, hike for multidays with a little bit of peace of mind.
By checking in a couple times a day, I will be able to leave the worry
and submerge my self in nature.  Lately, I have not enjoyed my hiking
as much as I did because the worry built from day to day.  Every minute,
another drop of worry hit my subconscious until it filled and spilled over
into my conscious.  Now, I will be able to periodically drain that pool of
worry before it ever impinges on my wilderness experience.

In addition, Mike has voiced increased unease with my hiking alone since
the stroke.  Hearing from me allows him the 'illusion' of peace of mind.  I
guess that it might be helpful if I did stroke out somewhere in signal range
but as has been stated here before, odds are that if I stoked majorly, I
might not "know" what a cell phone was or how to use it.  I have no illusions
about instant rescue.

In my current family situation, the cellphone will be one of the most necessary
pieces of gear I carry.  More so than a stove for sure.  Or your radio.  I find
it passing strange that people who profess resentment of the cellphone's
ability to bring the real world onto the trail, yet listen to a radio for
weather and
a little NPR before bed.  What is the difference?  Useless newsee nattering or
a few words with a loved one.  Sudden knowledge of 911 or you spouse telling
you that your parents are OK.  Passing strange indeed.................

Basically, I'm with Shane.  I don't like the little buggers  but one will
have a
place in my pack so I can empty my pool of worry and allow the woods to
flood in.