[at-l] Another Winter Adventure

After taking care of some errands Saturday, was ready
for a snowshoe trip Sunday.

Went to Rocky Mountain National Park where we
bushwhacked to Joe Mills Mountain.  This peak is not
too far from the very popular Bear Lake area in the
park. Even in winter,  this parking lot is Grand
Central Station. Kind of funny to be dressed in a
thick wool hat, thick wool mittens, shell jacket and
pants and Sorrels at 9500' in the parking lot next to
people in leather jackets, blue jeans and sneakers.
Granted, these people were walking the less than 50
yards to the lake, which has a lovely view of the
mountains, but they still looked a bit out of place
for the elevation and the time of the year.

If I have an Achilles heel it is that I can not stand
crowds.  Partially it is because I have spent a fair
amount of time in the backcountry and enjoy hiking
solo, but it is also one of the family traits that
seems to go through the generations. Dad tenses up in
crowds and traffic,  my grandfather was happy to spend
time tending his garden with his flowers and tomato
plants, and the eldest Magnanti boy would just assume
get off the super highway hiking trail and go
bushwhacking to the top of a mountain that has no
trail to the top.

After hiking for 1/2 an hour, finally was out of
hiking distance from most of the Bear Lake Crowd.
After an hour, the seven of us turned off the trail
and proceeded to the top of Joe Mills Peak.  Getting
to the top was relatively easy.  The weather was a bit
overcast, the wind was quite cold. My hands froze
quickly as I snapped some pictures.  But the summit
was like a treasure that few see, due to the lack of a
trail.  Here we were, in the middle of probably the
busiest section of a national park, and we had it all
to ourselves.  Saw a completely different view of
Long's Peak and the divide. What made this peak
especially cool is that my friend is named Joey Mills!
 The theme of the trip was:
 "Come help Joey's ego" trip. :-)

Some of the skiers zoom-ed a head, while the three
snowshoers (which is what I did) made it back down. We
had some Ben and Jerry's ice cream in the parking lot
while waiting for the other skiers to show up. Yes,
Ben and Jerry's, the perfect food to eat during winter
at 9500' in Colorado. :D

Went to a local brew pub afterwards and here I am in
the salt mine again.....

Mags

=====