[at-l] Backpacking Boots??

----- Original Message -----
Hi everyone.  I'm new to this email list.  I'm planning on starting a thru
hike of the AT starting in mid-May, and I was looking for suggestions on
good backpacking boots.  Oh yeah, also, if anyone knows of good water
filters, could you please let me know as well?  Thanks!

Phil
-----------------------------
i like salomon boots (i knwo i am spelling it wrong they are a big skiing
company too i have a pari of boots i did 300 miles in on  thru attempt and a
pair of shoes i am very happy with) and pur filters.

you shoudl also look into vasque boots as they are a big favorite as far as
i know of alot of people with boots jsut take what ever feels right doesnt
matter much you will need to buy more then one pair anyway.. alot of people
i know use oil resistance soled kmart boots. what ever is most comforatble
that still give the right amount of suport..also bigger is not better.. it
is liek the three bear you want one tha tis jsut right... it is the single
most daunting task of gear buying IMHO.

what you should worry about most is the fit and the traction you want them
to fit better then a glove have some extra room in teh toes (you shoudl be
able to kick stuff lightly and not feel it) and they shoudl stick to the
ground as much as possible.  vibram soles are good at that and i like the
salomon brand sole they have treated me well. but go by feel not by brand
names.

as for filters.. you might be interested in an inline filter i know a few
people on the list have used them sussesfully and MSR makes high quality
filters. although i hear katadin filters are creme de la creme.

if anyone has anything else to add or correct (or spell correctly) please do

wisperlight