[at-l] sorrels

<<> In Maine in winter I mostly wear Sorel, rubber soles, leather top
> boots, with a
> wool felt liner. LL Bean makes a similar boot and made it's
> reputation with
> them. I wear Sorels (a Canadian company) because they are cheaper.>>

There's also at least two different kind of soles. The ones I grew up with
had the shallow, "twisted rope" pattern that provided no traction
whatsoever. The most recent pair I bought has a hiking boot type cleated
sole, ala Vibram, but made out of some other material. Much better. If
you're actually on snow the Vibram isn't going to do you any good anyway,
and these do well enough on both snow and rock (short of extremes) to keep
me from taking too many "flyers". BTW, mine are Sorrels...

skeeter