[at-l] Horses On The Trail

Somewhere/somehow I was always taught to
TRY and stand downhill 4 or 5 feet away
from the trail. The logic being that the
horse would do less damage to itself trying
to bolt uphill.

About 10 years ago on the Washington PCT
I was sitting down enjoying a break when a
rider and pack animal came over the hill.
When I started talking to her she asked me
to stand up and talk since the horse had no
idea what a short talking blob was and it
needed to recognize me as a human to keep
it calm.

In the Grand Canyon, when you meet a mule
train, you are supposed to step aside and
let the train pass. Sometimes the room
available, off the trail, is only a foot or
two. It is quite a experience having that
mass moving one or two feet from your head.

Mike

http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

email  --- mike_aken@hotmail.com

I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one.
                         Jack Hampson

text/html (html body -- converted)