[at-l] Coffee.....How do YOU make it?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:58:12PM -0500, Amy <askowronek@mindspring.com> wrote:

> ATRerunner wrote:
>
> >I really like fresh coffee, so i have been pondering the options myself.
> >Tried smushing beans in the garlic press, too much time/work. Going to
> >try products #401027 & #629245 from http://www.rei.com instead.
>
> If you have large ground coffee, you could use one of those mesh
> cups.  My ex uses his to make tea with loose tea.  It's very light
> weight.  It's about the size of the interior of a regular coffee
> cup.  You set it in the cup, pour the hot water over it, wait
> until it's brewed to your satisfaction.  Then you pull it out
> and you have leafless (or grindless) brew.  I like it because
> it's reusable.  My ex's is going on its second year of daily use.

I bought one of these in Damascus and used it pretty much every morning
for the rest of my thru-hike.  It's great!  Makes just as good coffee as
a french press, and at only a tiny fraction of the weight.  As for
grinding coffee on the trail: I doubt that you can find anything
lightweight that does a very good job; it's almost certainly better to
just carry ground coffee.

-Heavy

--
Daniel E. Eisenbud
eisenbud@cs.swarthmore.edu

"We should go forth on the shortest walk perchance, in the spirit of
undying adventure, never to return,--prepared to send back our embalmed
hearts only as relics to our desolate kingdoms."
					--Henry David Thoreau, "Walking"