[at-l] hiking poles impact on trails... (was Weary Of Shelters)

Yeah, anyone who routinely hikes where the ground freezes knows that the
damage Lekis can do doesn't come close to the damage that all natural ice
can do.  Likewise, crampons put way more scratches on rocks than Lekis ever
will - except of course, in places where crampons aren't used.  12 sharp
points on each foot make a little Leki scratch here and there seem
insignificant.  It's only happened once or twice, but it's pretty funny to
hear someone complaining of pole scratches on rocks in the Whites while they
are pointing to crampon scratches.

I do a lot of trail maintenance with my poles...  I often didn't want to
stop while I was hiking but I could flick things off the trial with my poles
better than I could by kicking things off the trail.  And I've thought about
finding some sort of scythe attachment for the poles in those horribly
overgrown areas.  Whack away as you hike and stop complaining about those
areas that maintainers just can't keep up with... yeah...  :-)

Mara
Stitches, GAME99