[at-l] Re: BrrrSleeping bags

I think this thread illustrates a significant difference between a
thru-hiker and a section-hiker.  The thru-hiker, I believe, has the luxury
of not having to follow a set schedule.  A section hiker usually has to
follow a schedule in order to finish at the planned destination in the time
allotted.

Charles

"... Hot tea in the AM only slows down getting the day started." claims
Orange
Bug.

"...What if you want to start out your day drinking hot tea? I used to take
forever to get started in the a.m. I always got where I was going,
though...sometimes, usually, late in the p.m. But, I got there. Had a
helluva
time gettin' there, too. Smelled all the damned roses and saw all the views
wanted to, too." replies Felix

  As usual Felix has said some very wise things. I cooked real oatmeal, and
 downed a couple of cups of coffee, usually some hot tang, and sundry other
 liquids each morning, before finishing up with some instant cider flavored
hot
 dishwater.

   Why? Well, I enjoyed them. Plus all that boiling water replenished my
liquids
  without having to worry about giardia and other obnoxious things some
claim
  are found along the trail.

  Somehow I managed also to spend six months in the woods and mountains and
saw
  the summits of both Springer and Katahdin and numerous -- but not all --
the
  mountains in between.

  Weary