[at-l] Unstinking Hiker Stink

> 1) Carry some baking soda.
> 2) Carry a wee bottle of vanilla.
> 3) Get a "scrubbie".
> 4) Get one of those soap drainers that has what looks like a forest of
> fingers on both sides.

Good advice Bill.  I might add that Tupperware used to make a vegetable
scrubber that works like the soap drainers you describe.  That's what I use,
but I don't know anybody who sells Tupperware anymore.

I'd also add:

5) A light camp shower, either purchased or improvised, and used while on
the trail will help to keep you from smelling like walking carrion.  We've
already had the Great Ivory Soap Debate...

6) If you don't want to carry a camp shower, use two water bottles with the
'squirt' tops to shower.  You'd be surprised how little water it takes to
get clean.

7) Baby wipes are carried by some for the purpose of cleaning up.
Alternatively, a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and a bandana can be used
to give yourself a refreshing alcohol bath.  This kills the stinky bacteria.

8)  When in town shower well, then fill a tub with hot water.  Add an entire
box of salt to the water and soak for 20 minutes.  Shower again.  No more
stink!  I like to add half the salt to the bath, then rub the other half on
the stinky parts.  (Which is usually everywhere.)  Not necessarily
recommended for those with high blood pressure.  YMMV.

Shane